Friday, August 29, 2008

Seeing, being

I've been working on portraits of friends and discovering the difference between painting a face you've been drawing and painting for decades and one that you recognise but haven't examined intimately. I went off to the Frick today to look at masterpieces of the genre: Titian, Rembrandt, Vermeer, Ingres, and Bellini.
Meanwhile my son has gone off to college and I am bereft of the face I have painted and drawn since he was two weeks old. Not to mention his company.
Looking at beautiful paintings is always good, but there are many ways to go wonky.
I've been reading Tim Winton. Not since Patrick White has someone quite managed to chord so many of my aesthetic and personal buttons.
Not to mention his deep appreciation for wonkiness.

1 comment:

James Robert Smith said...

So sorry about the empty nest. Alas!

You're so fortunate to be able to see those great paintings.

Apparently some Titian work will be transferred soon from private to public ownership in the UK. (Can't find the link.)