Sunday, January 27, 2008

What is Happiness?


My son and I had a long conversation on the subject of nailing down the perception/experience of happiness. We discussed neutrality and focus along the way. He insisted that they are not happiness although possibly mistaken to be. My thinking: what's the difference if you feel it is?
My take is probably due to the high water mark of relativity in my brain. After several (OK more than several) decades of material state on this planet, relative becomes really important.
We also discussed the idea that people often look back at their childhoods as a time of happiness, whether it was or not. I found this picture of myself by the water. I will put money down, that at that moment, covered with droplets from the lake and my hands deep in the sand, that I was happy.
May it come again, anytime.

No comments: