Sunday, July 6, 2008

under trees, under umbrella

Out in Framingham, Massachusetts I walked with my father through a garden in the woods. It was raining so I carried a large umbrella that we both used. My Dad is in his mid 80's. He walks slowly and is curved over. The umbrella would pull against the lower branches and the spilled water would rattle on its cloth. We went down a hill amid the old woods and cultivated plants, around a lily pond and back up the hill. No one else was there. The leaves were shiny with rain. When I wanted to take a picture he would hold the umbrella for us.






2 comments:

James Robert Smith said...

You can say what you want about redwoods and Douglas firs and bristlecone pines. But to me there's not anything more beautiful than an eastern hardwood forest. Gorgeous.

What a great way to spend the day with your dad.

NativePlantPerson said...

Thanks for sharing your story of a beautiful connection with your dad and nature. FYI-at Garden in the Woods cart tours are also available for those needing mobility assistance. Details are at www.newenglandwild.org.

The BIG BUGS sculptures open on July 12-they are huge--and there are lots of bug/plant stories to tell. I hope you will both come and enjoy it. www.newenglandwild.org-- Debra